Why Focal Lenght doesn't matter - A Prime Lens Travel Challenge at Berlin

Started Oct 22, 2017 | Discussions thread
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,337
Re: Why Focal Lenght doesn't matter - A Prime Lens Travel Challenge at Berlin

Hi,

You said your title was a bit provocative, so I'll respond to the challenge.......  Your shots all look great.  But they do look standard lens.  Because they were.  And there's nothing wrong with that.

But back to FL........  I've tried the one prime challenge.  Several times.  But I have in the end missed shots because I couldn't go wider or longer.  And later, I've regretted the absence of variation in FOV from that trip.  The diversity makes revisiting those places through the images more interesting.    These days I travel with either a few primes or a wide-to-short-tele zoom because I've just accepted that the one prime pathway isn't for me.  So, FL matters.  To meof course - but it's all personal anyway. 

I agree with you that working with one prime is an education.  But having got the education, why then limit yourself to one prime?  You'll also read countless posts where people will tell you that zooms don't provide the education that primes do and make photographers lazy.  They're probably right sometimes.  But again, having got the education, you don't forget it when you use a zoom either.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow