Why Focal Lenght doesn't matter - A Prime Lens Travel Challenge at Berlin

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
markusw Contributing Member • Posts: 541
Why Focal Lenght doesn't matter - A Prime Lens Travel Challenge at Berlin

Ok, the title is a bit provocing... but we do discuss that FL questions so many times which is fun on one-hand side, but doesn't hit the point as long as we talk about photography as a way to develop and express creativity and not just try to reproduce something.

My idea on this is that the tool will boost creativity, and if you are out with just a single lens, at least I focus myself better on the situation instead on my gear. So I am not fiddling getting the right prime or zoom around to get the best picture from my current position. Instead of this, if a Frame doesn't work with a given FL, I analyze what's wrong and try to solve it out. But that's personally, just my experience how I can work best.

So I decided to take the challenge and set up a small experiment.  I have the opportunity to travel to Berlin two times in this week, each time having some 90 minutes for walking and shooting. Once in the morning, once in late afternoon. Once at Berlin Mitte (I had an appointment close to the German Parliament), once walking from Alexanderplatz to the River Spree. Once with the 35, once with the 18. Once last Friday, once this afternoon. All shot in RAW, edited and cropped in LR (4000px size at the long side should remain) to taste.

My goal is to capture a bit of the mood of that respective quarter with a couple of pictures, getting maybe 2-3 keepers from this 90 minutes.

So, let's go...

-- hide signature --

M.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.flickr.com/people/126876759@N02/

markusw's gear list:markusw's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow