KP and DA* 16-50 Event Photography (picture heavy)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mike Arledge Contributing Member • Posts: 724
KP and DA* 16-50 Event Photography (picture heavy)

For the eighth year running I have done event photography for a high profile "Whisky and Fine Spirits Expo" in Indianapolis. This event is always a challenge because of horrible lighting conditions and a large crowd (not to mention people drinking heavily). In the past I have often relied on using cameras with EVF's like Fuji X100* or Leica X Vario because of their small size and ability to see the exposure.

But this year I felt fully confident covering the event with my Pentax KP and the DA* 16-50 and FA 4 LTD. I left the EVF backups at home. I had 1 hour before the doors opened to do the product photography with the FA 43LTD, then used the 16-50 for the people portions.

I have to say that the DA* 16-50 was an amazing camera to use for this event. I did cheat for a fair amount of the night and shoot using the LCD as my EVF, but focus was consistently nailed, and exposure well controlled.

The skin tones are always hard to nail in these photos, mostly because I am asked to shoot for blacks of the tablecloths and to aim for making the products look "correctly colored".

But hope you all enjoy my shots from a paid session and many interested spirits bottles and people.

PRODUCT SHOTS (mostly shot with FA 43)

EVENT (mostly with DA* 16-50)

Mike Arledge's gear list:Mike Arledge's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot G5 X Pentax KP Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +2 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow