How have sensors been getting better ISO, when pixel size keeps getting smaller

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bananasushi Forum Member • Posts: 50
How have sensors been getting better ISO, when pixel size keeps getting smaller

Take a Canon rebel slr. It uses an APS-C sensor.

In 2003, the rebel was 6MP, now it is 24MP.

Doesn't that mean that the sensor has gotten cut up smaller and smaller each time resulting in smaller photo sights and worse light sensitivity? I'm guessing that means each pixel is half as wide and half as tall.

How have camera manufacturers been mitigating this?

The Sony a7s ii has a full frame sensor and can get about half a million in ISO, The Sony Alpha 900 from 2008 was also full frame but it could only get up to 6400 ISO. It would have had bigger photo sites. Mind you the a7s ii is 12MP and the A900 was 25MP but still...

I ask this also because I have a Canon rebel from 2007 that is dying and i want to get a better camera with better ISO, but I don't really need more MP. My pictures look perfect. I mean, I know they inevitably get more megapixels...

Should I just buy any newer camera? I want to upgrade but I want to save money.

Are there any full frame sensor cameras that still have auto modes like, full auto, portrait, landscape?

I'm thinking of buying a Panasonic GH5 for shooting video. Would there be any benefit to getting a newer Canon rebel or full frame camera just for photos based solely on the fact that it has a bigger sensor?

Nikon Coolpix A900 Panasonic GH5 Sony Alpha a7S II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow