How do you deal with Eye Strain when editing?!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jeff31M
Jeff31M Forum Member • Posts: 98
How do you deal with Eye Strain when editing?!

Like many of you, I spend hours every week editing photos.  For me, half the joy of photography is putting my creative spin on my raw files.

However, I also deal with sore eyes a LOT, so I am curious what people do to help alleviate.

I have 3 LCD's.   A dell U3014, a Benq 4k IPS screen, and a regular cheap Samsung for toolbars.  I always used to edit on DARK screens, but then I had numerous complaints that when people would get prints, they would be too dark (suprise!)  I learned to read the histogram better and interpret that towards processing to help.  I also will turn up the brightness to around 50 on my U3014 but then my eyes start getting SORE.

I have one more major strike against me.  I have bad eye floaters (degenerative vitreous) in both eyes and especially bad in one eye.  I often find myself trying to dodge around these floaters when editing and sometimes I get tension headaches.  However there are two options to treat this and both have negatives.   Laser can zap them and HELP a little bit, and then there is a riskier technique called a vitrectomy when they replace your vitreous with a saline one.  If the technique goes perfect, you are gold, but if it doesnt you could introduce symptoms WORSE then the floaters.  I struggle with this quite a bit, but havent decided what to do.  Also the laser treatment is not offered close to where I live so I would have to fly and lodge at a fairly high expense.  All dr.s just tell me to live with it, and I have, but they really suck somedays!

I purchased glasses that have the blue light blocker for regular reading and they help, but sometimes I forget to take them off when editing and my pictures have this weird color cast to them

So when you edit, how do you make sure your eyes stay relaxed and comfortable, I would love to hear how others deal with this issue, and if the real secret is just cranking down the brightness.  I try and maintain proper task lighting in my editing room as well.

-- hide signature --

jeffwizniak.smugmug.com

Jeff31M's gear list:Jeff31M's gear list
Nikon D850
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow