Move From (or add to) a Sony A58 to RX10 Mk IV?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Plas New Member • Posts: 1
Move From (or add to) a Sony A58 to RX10 Mk IV?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I see the RX10 being discussed here. This is my first post at DP Review.

Background: I purchased an A58 SLT several years ago as a jump up from small point and shoot cameras. I've learned a lot about still photography from that camera, coming more from a video background. I admit I'm not yet proficient by any means.

While the A58 can produce some fairly nice photos with the kit 18-50, an inexpensive prime, and the 55-200 inexpensive zoom, I'm looking for improvement.

My use for a camera these days besides casual and family use is working with some local non-profit groups, photographing events, awareness walks, stage events and special olympics, for examples, in addition to video using semi-pro camcorders.

I was a bit frustrated last weekend at a local event due to several things, including not so great photo performance on a dreary day, trying a pretty marginal Sigma walk around 18-250 lens, having to constantly change to other lenses with all of the different activities, the poor autofocus tracking runners in the 5K, and switching between the still cam and the video cam a lot. You get the picture.

So, I'm looking at this new RX10 MK IV and wondering how much better it might be for me for the uses I've described? Lens change would not be an issue, it has superior autofocus, it takes great video, and from the samples I've seen, very decent still photos. The only thing I have NOT seen are samples in low light environments to compare to the A58.

I would love hearing opinions from others here, especially from users of both the SLT series and the RX10 series.

Thanks.

Plas

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow