C1 ... just wow

Started Oct 21, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
cna Regular Member • Posts: 115
C1 ... just wow

Hi,

As others, I do not accept Adobe’s LR new product line (see my post history).

So, a few days ago, I began looking for a replacement for my current LR CC/6.

Having seen good reviews for Capture 1 10Pro, I’ve downloaded an evaluation version and after having spent a few hours learning the product, I am getting more and more amazed by C1.

· By its possibilities regarding adjustments; every operation is not only intuitive, but also very powerful

· By the quality of the RAW rendering : I have a D810, and only shoot in raw.

Raw rendering gives better image quality than LR, with less operations.

But the best part came yesterday; after having watched one of the very good C1 webinars, I’ve opened a file with a “linear response” curve, and just applied some WB and level adjustments: I’ve just be stunned by the results. Colors and tonality were just great.

I ‘ve applied this setting on portrait and landscape photos (with some more RGB and Luma Curves, as well as HDR and clarity adjustments when needed); in both cases the results are just great.

I tried to replicate those results in LR but I’ve been unable to (even though I am a long time LR user, there is maybe something I am doing wrong).

I’ve tried several times in the past to use the LR “camera flat” profile which should be equivalent to C1 “linear response”; but I just can’t get the colors right (too yellowish or bluish)

· By its speed for applying any adjustments (maybe excepted during the first 1:1 preview)

· By its layering possibilities; even though it does not rival PS, the layering possibilities will suit most of my needs; should PS be needed (for advanced healing,…) I still have an old PS CS5 license

· By its documentation and free webinars.

C1 is not a cheap product, and I will surely encounter some downsides in the future (catalog size ?) but right now, my feeling is that C1 is the first product that allows me to fully exploit the potential of my D810 raw files.

That was certainly not Adobe’s intention, but their new LR product line pushed me to look elsewhere, just to see that other products perform as well or better than LR; C1 is one of them, and will be, for sure, my raw processing tool for the years to come.

Regards

Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
cna
cna
cna
cna
cna
cna
cna
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow