Best general lens for 80D?

Started Oct 19, 2017 | Discussions thread
gscotten
gscotten Senior Member • Posts: 1,432
Re: Best general lens for 80D?

dpreviewreader80 wrote:

what's wrong with Tamron 17-50 2.8 its sharper all around on the digital picture

I think its best value for money and fixed canon 24mm 2.8 everything else its not worth the money canon 15-85 its ridiciolously expensive..canon kit lenses are terible.

The two Tamron 17-50 f/2.8's are not bad lenses, but their focus and zoom rings run backwards compared to Canon's lenses. That is OK if you are NEVER in a hurry to take a picture or if it is the only lens you use. They are around half the cost of a 15-85, but nowhere near as sharp, particularly the stabilized version of the 17-50. The 17-50 lenses need to be stopped down for acceptable edge sharpness, negating the value of the f/2.8 aperture . Oh, yes, no FTM (full time manual) focus override, either.

The 15-85 focuses faster, is quieter, much sharper, wider range, and is not very expensive compared to other lenses of its quality. Mine is worth more to me that what it cost. I haven't found a better walk-around lens at any price.

As for Canon's kit lenses, all the ones that I have had have been pretty darn good, especially if you consider their price.

-- hide signature --

George

gscotten's gear list:gscotten's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow