Sigma 30 f1.4 DC or Sony 35 f1.8 OSS?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
grasshpr
grasshpr Contributing Member • Posts: 538
Re: Sigma 30 f1.4 DC or Sony 35 f1.8 OSS?

caterpillar wrote:

I just want to ask for those who own or have experience of the Sigma 30 f1.4 DC. I am torn which one to get. The other consideration is the sony 35 f1.8 OSS. I know both are good lenses, but the Sigma is about 2/3 stop faster, and is supposed to be slightly sharper than the sony.

So, what is your opinion of the Sigma lens? Anything I should know in other areas of performance like AF speed, AF accuracy, etc.?

If you have an a6500 and you don't need OSS, I would recommend the sigma 30mm f1.4 because its a sharper lens overall.  AF might be better with the sony 35mm, which will benefit you if the subject is running all across the image frame, if not, the sigma has a fine AF system.

If however your using the a6000 or a6300, I would recommend the sony lens just because of the OSS.  While the sigma is just under a stop wider in aperture, the sony oss makes up for that by about 2 stop of SS.  Also unless you used to shooting f1.4, the depth of field at that aperture is very thin depending on how far you are from your subject, in which case you might need to have it stopped down.

grasshpr's gear list:grasshpr's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow