Canon 4K MJPEG video for stills saved my day

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Myrgjorf Regular Member • Posts: 197
Canon 4K MJPEG video for stills saved my day

Many has criticized Canon for using MJPEG for 4K on their DSLRs. I am a fan of having MJPEG as an option for getting high quality stills out of a video stream and yesterday that feature saved my photos. I think many posters here do not recognize the value of Canon's 4K implementation for stills in special situations.

I went to a sea battle event yesterday where I first tried to get ordinary photos. But of cause I couldn't get the timing with the cannons right. So I switched to 4K video and extracted the stills as JPEG and PP'ed in PS with some highlight reduction, shadow lift and foreground / background noise reduction. The JPEGs of cause had less headroom and DR for PP than RAWs but I am pleased to have that option when RAW is not an option.

I think you should consider 4K MJPEG before your next purchase.

- Bjarne

After extracting stills from MJPEG and some PP I got these pictures for my own private usage

The frigate is the beautiful Russian "Shtandart" sailing under Danish flag at this event

We had a lot of rain affecting the colors and the mood of the pictures

Myrgjorf's gear list:Myrgjorf's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus TG-5 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +16 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow