getting started with raw conversion

Started Oct 21, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Felix Schubert Regular Member • Posts: 258
getting started with raw conversion

So finally I have a camera that can shot in raw and I'm jumping in that waters.

For now I just started with rawtherapee. As far as I read, all tools are equally complex. At first impression, it's a bit slow/laggy. But documentation looks very good. Any comments on this software and/or alternatives to consider/test?

With all those options, it's a bit difficult to find a starting point. So I just start asking questions and as well as posting them, find answers on my own.

What are the first transformations the software does? So starting with bayer rggb data (or other sensor data) to the first possible rgb display on my screen. I guess this involves color management, so the differences of the sensors spectral response, my eyes spectral response and the spectrum emitted by the pixels on my monitor + the xyz-color space? Some geometric interpolations, right? And denoise, whitebalance will come after?

Regards, Felix

-- hide signature --
 Felix Schubert's gear list:Felix Schubert's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow