please help me choose between these lenses

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alwajeeh New Member • Posts: 20
please help me choose between these lenses

Hi guys,

I’m trying to get into wild life photography esp. Birding and want the best possible quality & the ability to utilize the A99II’s hybrid focus. I want to choose between these three lenses.

Sony 70-300mm, F4,5-5,6 G SSM II

Sony 70-400mm, F4–5,6 G SSM II

Sony 70-200mm, F2,8 G SSM II

The 70-300 doesn’t have many professional reviews but customers reviews on Amazon & P&H are very positive, plus its way cheaper and lighter than the other two. The latter two already have many crazy positive reviews.

Providing that I’ll be shooting birds during the day, I believe I’ll benefit more from longer focal length than from faster F-stop, not to mention the price.

I find myself leaning towards the 70-400mm, vs the 70-200, it is cheaper & has a longer reach and vs the 70-300, it will also benefit from the Teleconverter, if I ever needed one. But the 70-300 still lighter and much cheaper.

So, what do you think guys?

Apart from the obvious F-stop and focal length differences, are there any focus/optical differences?

What are the disadvantages of using a teleconverter?

Thank in advance for the help.

Alwajeeh's gear list:Alwajeeh's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 28mm F2.8 +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow