New Dp3M owner. Advice?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tjwaggoner
tjwaggoner Senior Member • Posts: 1,139
New Dp3M owner. Advice?

Hello all. I’ve recently acquired a dp3m to try and see some of the magic I’ve heard these cameras are capable of. I’m generally not a pixel peeping type so I realize that’s a big aspect of the Foveon cameras, but I just like the look of some of the files I’ve seen from them. Also I enjoy black and white and this seems as the best “dedicated” b&w camera without getting into a Leica Mono. Also I like having prints done and these models are said to produce gorgeous prints in almost any size (for home display).

Ive only taken it out for one quick stop at the local park to shoot some test shots and try and learn it a little. Needless to say for someone brand new to this company’s equipment and software, there’s a steep learning curve. The raw files seem to be very flexible in the spp app but I seem to have blown some highlights in a few that I didn’t think I would have. Is this common on these cameras? Should I err on the side of underexposing? Granted this was some harsh mid day sun (not posting because there’s nothing much to see except a bland scene with some blown highlights). Which metering mode do people typically use? I’m used to smaller sensor cameras of late where I can spot meter on the the brighter spots and generally save them without losing the shadows completely.

I realize everyone will use the camera a little differently but just wanted a general answer about the tendency to blow out highlights with this generation sensor or if I just missed the exposures.

Thanks and glad to be around the forum

-- hide signature --

Constructive Criticism is always welcome, however please understand that I am not a pixel peeper.
http://500px.com/tjwaggoner

tjwaggoner's gear list:tjwaggoner's gear list
Olympus E-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
Sigma DP3 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow