Lightroom Classic CC Performance Observations

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CBR1100XX Contributing Member • Posts: 657
Lightroom Classic CC Performance Observations

I didn't see a thread on the front page but has anyone else been testing out the new version?

This isn't scientific at all but I have 2 computers that are pretty evenly matched when it comes to overall CPU power (i7-7700HQ & Xeon W3690) based on their overall passmark scores the big differences being core count VS single threaded performance. And while importing a wedding right now with just embeded + sidecar the laptop loaded the initial images in no time but the embeded previews were going slow. So after about 10-15 minutes I started it up on this workstation and it's just about caught up with slightly more than 1/3 to go.

What makes this weirder is that the laptop is running on a 3000 mb/s NVME drive while the workstation is just using my RAID 1 with 5400 RPM WD Red drives through USB 3.0. So it looks like drive speed isn't the primary bottleneck for a large import, and Adobe finally has optimized LR for higher thread count CPU's.  I used to get my best performance using the Xeon with HT turned off but for this "test" I enabled it.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow