Camera shake: worth upgrading to GX85?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
amayzak
amayzak New Member • Posts: 8
Camera shake: worth upgrading to GX85?

I have a safari coming up with several dawn/dusk game drives, so I'm trying to figure out how to get sharp telephoto images in low light.

My current body is the GF7 with the following Panasonic lenses: 20mm f1.7, 42.5mm f1.7, 12-32mm kit lens, and the 45-150mm telephoto.

The primes perform pretty well, but it's tough to get a sharp image on the tele lenses at apertures above f3.5: I'm either using a long shutter and getting blur or high ISO and getting noise.

My questions are:

1. Is it worth upgrading to a body with IBIS? I've been looking at the GX85 since the IBIS works with OIS on some Panasonic lenses and using an EVF might help stabilize the camera in-hand vs using a screen.

2. Will the GX85 turn out noticeably better images than the GF7 due to the newer engine and lack of AA filter?

3. Should I be looking at a faster lens? I have enough money for either a used GX85 or a used tele lens, but not both.

What else am I missing? Any techniques for taking handheld shots in low light? Thanks!

amayzak's gear list:amayzak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow