My experience with AF on GX8 vs Olympus

Started Oct 20, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dunsun Regular Member • Posts: 490
My experience with AF on GX8 vs Olympus

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my experience with an AF speed and accuracy with my new Panasonic GX8. Maybe someone can guide me for a better AF settings since I'm quite new to Panasonic cameras.

I bought my GX8 just for testing its AF capabilities. You know if it is any better than any Olympus camera that I have owned (all except E-M1 II).

AFS

At first I was a bit amazed that it does not lock on almost anything with a bit worse contrast (Olympus does). Then I was playing with all modes a bit and found out these:

• Pinpoint is a nice feature but very slow but I really like it since Olympus does not offer anything close to it.
  • The smallest focus area can not aquire focus very often and is slower.
  • Medium focus area is very fast and accurate on this setting it beats Olympus easily. BUT considering Olympus has smaller focus point (even though they do not obey focus area region at all) than this medium focus area I would say they are somewhat comparable. In bad light Panasonic wins.

Continues AF

I was very amazed how fast and accurate continues AF is on GX8 using DFD. Keeper rate is actualy very close to my Olympus E-M1. Really good job Panasonic (running dogs towards me).

But generally I am a bit disappointed or better say I was expecting a bit more of a difference. I do not care that much about the speed but AF accuracy and an ability to acquire focus.

So yes Panasonic is a better focuser but not by much at least this is my 10 day experience.

Cheers

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow