GH5 AFS Focus for stills

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RJ2K10 Junior Member • Posts: 28
GH5 AFS Focus for stills

Just picked up a GH5 and have been trying out the various focus modes, all stills no video, with the AFS static focus mode. I would imagine this should be the most reliable.

I am finding the pinpoint focus to all but useless, it rarely gets focus having to half press the shutter several times before it gets focus, it hunts for a while and eventually gives the focus beep even though the image is far from in focus.

The 1 area mode seems far more reliable, usually locking on straight away but occasionally missing focus.

The 225 area mode seems very unreliable too, it will always lock focus and give the confirmation beep but the highlighted small squares that should be in focus are usually not.

I tested this with my original 45-200 which isn't the fastest lens but I have had no issue with it on my G1, but most of the focus modes seems very unreliable with this on the GH5. The Leica 12-60 is better but still not completely reliable using the pinpoint focus mode or 225 area mode. As an example I tried getting focus on our sleeping dog and had to half press the shutter 7 or 8 times before it looked to anywhere near in focus.

I upgraded the firmware when it arrived in both camera and lens, I had thought to go and try the original firmware but Panasonic to not allow downgrades so the camera is on v2.1.

I would interested to hear others experience of shooting stills with the GH5 or whether it's possibly just an issue with mine.

RJ2K10's gear list:RJ2K10's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic GH5
Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow