Nikon 10-20 on d7100. Help! Confusion over VR/compatibility

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ShutterBug Mom Forum Member • Posts: 68
Nikon 10-20 on d7100. Help! Confusion over VR/compatibility

Hi I've just received the Nikon 10-20. Basically it has VR but it doesn't have a switch, the idea being you turn the VR off in camera menu. However there is confusion about compatibility with older camera models, the issue being that I don't seem to have a menu in camera for turning off VR. I am just after updating firmware incase it might be that but it doesn't seemed to have changed anything in my menus.

I will need to use this mostly on a tripod especially indoors so its important. I have tried it on a tripod and the shots seem ok even though the VR is still on. The problem being I don't know what I'm looking out for? I assume it would be an obvious blurred result. I have tested 1 and 2 seconds and the pics look ok.

Also what would be the handheld shutterspeed for a lens of this range?

Someone else has suggested as this is a budget end of the market lens that the VR may not be the equivalent of that found on other VR lenses with a much larger price tag and that it will actually it will be fine for use on a tripod even with the VR on. I just don't want it getting damaged. I already have a 35mm that has decided not to autofocus!

I have about 10 days to return it if I am uncertain.

Many thanks!

ShutterBug Mom's gear list:ShutterBug Mom's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow