Canon's dual pixel tech in the 6Dii vs 5Div

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Photongrapher New Member • Posts: 3
Canon's dual pixel tech in the 6Dii vs 5Div

How much do we know about the implementation of canon's dual pixel technology in the 6Dii? The 5Div is able to output a dual pixel raw, with two images embedded, one is the sum of the two pixels values (A+B), the other is just one of the pixels values (A). This format apparently allows some refocus capability and additional highlight recovery (the A value is essentially a second image captured at -1ev).

The real-world benefits of this file-type notwithstanding, is there any hardware reason the 6Dii would not be capable of outputting dual pixel raw files? I can understand canon wanting to keep these as 'premium features' for the pro camera, I'm just wondering if the capability is there.

If said capability is there, would it not be feasible for some fancy firmware update (or dare I say ML, not holding my breath) to leverage this extra bit of DR?

I'm not holding out hope that the camera's DR will improve with some sort of update, I bought it for it's high iso low-light capabilities. I'm just interested in the tech at the pixel level.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow