Dumping Nikon 24-120 VR Kit lens for Primes?

Started Oct 18, 2017 | Discussions thread
OP Grover11 Forum Member • Posts: 87
Re: Dumping Nikon 24-120 VR Kit lens for Primes?

Michael Benveniste wrote:

Island Golfer wrote:

I think everyone goes through this change-over phase at some point.

I think that's an exaggeration, but enough enthusiasts/hobbyists do so to fill both cabinets and inventory pipelines of used gear.

The Sigma is on my camera all of the time. The Nikon 20mm lens is merely a sidekick that I carry as an "in-case" option.

The same is pretty much true of my 24-120mm f/4 for "travel photography," although that's a highfalutin term for what I do when playing tourist.

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Convenience versus better sharpness and speed. We all fall somewhere along the continuum.

Agreed! I would like to forgo convenience for sharpness and speed.

Spot on for non-beginners. The only thing I'd add is that at least for me, the tradeoffs change depending on the type of "stuff" I'm doing, physical demands and on pure whim.

Grover11 wrote:

I shoot mainly Architecture/Street/Travel

Thoughts/Advice?

The first thing to ask yourself is "what am I looking for?" Here are some good justifications for buying primes.

• I want more control over depth of field.
  • I need too high an ISO to freeze subject movement.
  • I want to stop blaming my equipment for my lack of results.
  • I don't adjust my shooting position enough.

This is an important reason for getting into Primes, I need to challenge myself and make myself work more for the right shots.

• My current setup produces distortion which is too difficult or time-consuming to correct in post-processing.
  • I need something to get me out of a rut.

See my answer above!

• I don't value technically flawed photographs, no matter how interesting the subject matter.

That all said, if you decide to go down this path, since you have a 50mm I suggest that initially you skip the 35mm f/1.8 and keep your 24-120mm f/4 instead. Alternatively, consider going with 20mm and 28mm primes instead of 24mm and 35mm.

Also, if your budget permits, with a D750 I'd suggest going with the new 70-300mm AF-P over the older 70-300mm AF-S.

-- hide signature --

Mainstream Commercial Nihilism Can't Be Trusted.

I am also leaning towards the 20mm 1.8g over the 24

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha a6000 with 16-50 kit lens

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow