Fujinon 18mm: My wonderful all-around lens

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
markusw Contributing Member • Posts: 541
Fujinon 18mm: My wonderful all-around lens

Dear all,

I am not looking too much for technical parameters. A lens is good if it is reasonable sharp - but it hasn't to be perfect. Bokeh should look nicely, contrast/micro contrast have to be appealing.

But I am looking continuously for the 'perfect' travel lens. It has to be a prime for me, and it has to be small enough to be taken around. And it should have a good complementary FL to the 35mm (50mm EFF) since this is my other travel lens.

So, I found the Fuji 18mm. Many people seem to complain about as being the weakest lens in Fuji's offering. However, I gave it a try.

The FL is very helpful for travel/City shooters. Since it has to partner with the 35, the usual recommended 23 is too close to it for me. I tried also the 14, but with a UWA, I was too concentrated to find a nice foreground. 18 seems to be a really helpful FL.

The rendering is quite appealing. I like the colors (being in line with Fuji at all) and the contrast. Also, build quality is decent.

On the con side, the AF is a bit noisy and slow. Compared to the things Olympus can do with mFT lenses, it is really noisy and really slow. However, I focus with the AE/AF-button on my X-Pro1 (no focus on release button), so it is fairly ok. Flare is an issue if you shot into bright sun (see the first picture).

My resumee: a nice and capable prime lens for street and travel shooters, esp. in combination with a standard prime (27 or 35).

Enough words - here are some pics:

The Wieskirche (Bavaria) with strong backlit. You easily recognize the flare in the right/bottom corner.

Japanese visitors at the Wieskirche.

Siemens Palace at Erlangen / Germany

Frankfurt Central station

Night shot at the Baltic Sea coast

Autumn colors

Thanks for looking

-- hide signature --

M.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.flickr.com/people/126876759@N02/

markusw's gear list:markusw's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R
Wideangle prime lens • Fujifilm X • 16240743
Announced: Jan 9, 2012
markusw's score
Average community score
Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow