Lightroom 6 will be the last Lightroom to be perpetual

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
tomjar Contributing Member • Posts: 620
LR Classic CC versus LR CC

mosswings wrote:

But again - what exactly is the capability of the LR CC tool suite vs. the LR Classic CC app? Will the LR CC suite be even faster than LR Classic (I can't see how)? Will LR Classic CC be updated in parallel with LR CC, or is LR CC Adobe's final solution to LR 2015 CC performance problems...just replace it?

In an email from Victoria Bampton, one of Lightroom authors and gurus (I have her book, that's why I am on the mailing list), she says among other things that Lightroom CC...(emphases are mine)

"...has been rewritten from the ground up, so it's relatively bug-free (hooray!). It's early days, so Lightroom CC doesn't have all of the features of the Classic version, but it already has the essentials and will continue to develop rapidly."

See that rewritten from ground up part in the above quote? The implication seems to be that the new Lightroom Classic CC 7.0 is based on the old Lightroom 2015 CC/Lightroom 6 and that the new Lightroom CC is being developed from scratch separately, probably by a completely different team of developers.

She also warns the early adopters about possible bugs in the early Lightroom Classic CC 7.0 (not in Lightroom CC!) as a consequence of the changes in the code intended to make Lightroom Classic CC 7.0 faster that the old Lightroom CC/6 version.

It seems to me that Lightroom Classic CC 7.0 and the new cloud-based Lightroom CC are two very different beasts. My wild guess is they intend to kill Lightroom Classic CC in a couple of years as well, not right away, but once they bring all or most of its features to Lightroom CC, they will pull the plug. I really don't trust Adobe on anything they say. A couple of years ago they also said that they don't intend to quit perpetual licensing for Lightroom in the "foreseeable future" but that's exactly what happened now.

tomjar's gear list:tomjar's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix AW120 Nikon D5000 Panasonic G85 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow