Help with choosing my first DSLR

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
kli
kli Senior Member • Posts: 1,889
Re: Help with choosing my first DSLR

Live_Ammo wrote:

... I take images of womens clothing on a mannequin using a very simple set up in our office, comprising of a white back drop and a 2 bulb lighting kit. The images taken are then uploaded to our website, shared with customers via email and used occasionally in producing a very simple PDF image catalogue.

Product photography is more about the lighting than the camera. You could consider a fixed-lens compact. Something like a used Canon Powershot G1 X (Mark I) might actually work, if you learn to light with flash gear, and not cost a lot.

... We also intend to take photoshoots with models in the near future and plan on upping our photo studio standards. We may use the outdoors too with the models for certain product collections.

At that point, I'd recommend investing in strobe lighting. Continuous lighting is much lower in power. And being able to light subject and background at different levels is basically how you get that editorial/fashion look.

Maybe start with the Strobist's Lighting 101.

Our budget: Under £500 (the lower the price the better for now)

Preference if possible: We are hoping for a camera which can send images to our computer automatically when shooting via wifi. This is not an absolute must but if the budget allows, it would be very useful!

Have you looked at eye-fi cards (or other wi-fi capable SD cards)? They basically add wi-fi transfer of photos from any camera that takes an SD card to a computer. That way, you don't have to rely on the camera's feature set to include this capability.

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow