Canon 24-105 lens

Started Oct 19, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dswasserman New Member • Posts: 2
Canon 24-105 lens

Need some advice for an amateur/enthusiast photographer. I recently purchased a 6D Mark ii and am trying to figure out the best all-around canon 24-105 lens. Looking at all three options: f/4L USM i, f/4L USM ii, and f3.5-5.6 STM. My focus for the next many years will be on my two young kids (ages 3 and 6) and any trips we may take. I'd prefer to get the best to suit my needs, so pricing isn't a huge factor in the decision-making.  I also own the 70-300 usm ii for telephoto needs.

Here's my take:

USM ii - takes the sharpest photos and is fast, but is also the bulkiest and heaviest by far (to the point that I'd consider not getting it)

USM i - takes great photos as well, but is a little noisy for the videos. Weight is fine, but it doesn't come with a zoom lock (although I'm not sure how much of an issue this will be). It's design is also 12 years old.

STM - takes good photos, just not as sharp as the other two, esp. indoors where you can tell the difference with the higher f-stop at the long end. Otherwise very fast and takes fantastic videos. Of course doesn't have the L glass but is the lightest of the three.

Would love to hear others thoughts and advice on which to get.  Thanks!

Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow