probably a dumb Q - monopod for macro shots

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Peter in Canberra Regular Member • Posts: 344
probably a dumb Q - monopod for macro shots

I like to take shots of insects and spiders - mostly 'accidental' / impromptu ones - the beast is in situ somewhere (eg little jumping spider just near back door).

I have a tripod and a macro lens. However it isn't always possible to get the tripod near the subject - the jumping spider example was a case in point. It was on a wall at around head height but a couple of feet over a landing with a rail on it. I tried using the tripod as sort of monopod but it was too cumbersome overall so reverted to hand held.

I picked up a monopod and have experimented a little but have found a fatal flaw in my logic. I am very aware of a propensity for forwards/backwards sway and that I seem practically incapable of stopping it no matter how I brace myself. I haven't done any testing but my feeling is I can actually counteract the forward/back movement better simply hand holding. Given the thin DOF often in play with a macro lens, this would seem to be a big problem for my original idea of 'hunter gatherer' macro supported by monopod. Whereas a tripod will ensure that the focal plane 'stays put'.

thoughts?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow