Is the XF 10-24 supreme - or no better than Nikon 10-24?

Started Oct 18, 2017 | Questions thread
knoxphoto Regular Member • Posts: 164
Re: Is the XF 10-24 supreme - or no better than Nikon 10-24?

In my personal experience, the Fuji 10-24mm is:

• Better in build quality, IQ, and sharpness than the Sony 10-18mm

• Equal in build quality, IQ, and sharpness to the Nikon 10-24mm

• Better build quality, IQ, and sharpness than the Nikon 10-20mm

• Equal in build quality, IQ, and has better sharpness than the Sigma 10-20mm F3.5

• Equal in build quality, IQ, has better corner sharpness than the Sigma 10-24mm F4-5.6

• Equal in build quality, IQ , has better corner sharpness than the Tokina 11-26mm

• Less in build quality, same IQ, similar sharpness to the Canon 16-35mm F4L

I've used all the above lenses, either in Sony E mount, Canon EF mount or Nikon F mount.

Overall, the Fuji 10-24mm is a UWA, it has the same issues that all UWA lenses have (distortion, corner sharpness). It's focus is on versatility, function and overall usability. That being said, it's a strong performer, especially paired with the x-trans sensor. It's a very "fun" lens to have in your bag, I would say "get it" if you know UWA is what you want to shoot. I use it quite a bit for video on the XT-2 as well.

For WA, I personally prefer shooting with the Fuji 14mm and the Nikon 20mm F1.8G, but they may not be wide enough for your applications if you need UWA. I've also heard very good things about the Zeiss 12mm for Fuji X mount.

knoxphoto's gear list:knoxphoto's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Sony a7 III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow