Got the D500 and 16-80 N, Now what Lens!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
n057 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,833
Re: Got the D500 and 16-80 N, Now what Lens!

atalwar wrote:

n057 wrote:

atalwar wrote:

n057 wrote:

atalwar wrote:

I'd still suggest the op get a fast prime, like the 85 1.8. or the 50, Though I prefer longer for portraits and 85 is the longest I'd use indoors.

Considering the subject is growing, his baby daughter, a good fast prime will give him a lot of wow moments captured wide open or stopped down a stop. Just my 2 cents.

Still, while waiting to collect funds, the 16-80 set at around 50~70mm, combined with the not-too-shabby ISO of the D500, is an economical way to go until he finds out what to get next.

Ideally, the Nikkor 58/1.4 would be the DX portrait lens to go. On DX, that would nearly match what one can get on FX with an 85/1.8. But it is designed to cover FX also, which makes it a tad too expensive.

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

Don't know about OP, but I succumbed to my GAS once again and ordered a 58mm 1.4 Voightlander Manual Focus lens.

This would be my 4th or 5th lens in 50mm ballpark.
Should have it around next week
will post a few once i have it.

My only 50mm lens is an Ai ... I do have the 35/1.8 DX, but I'd rather save for an AFS 58/1.4 than buy that many 50s!

JC

What I meant with ballpark is that, along with a few primes some my zooms also work quite well at 50mm. Like the 24-70 2.8.

This is the second 50mm prime I have bought (the other one a macro 2.8 was gift from my brother.

This Voightlader I had a craving for because of its subject rendering. I know that oof/bokeh is not up to the mark. However its the dimensional image (3D pop or whatever) that it has is somewhat special as opposed to that kinda flatter look of the lenses I own, subjectivity perhaps. Here's a video showing kinda what I mean in the look difference : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5febma4_OE&index=154&list=WL

Ah, OK! Sorry, I did not pay enough attention to the "ballpark" keyword. I also have a few zoom lenses in the 50mm ballpark. Even in the 58mm ballpark, but by then they are not in the f/1.4 ballpark anymore

JC

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow