Need some help finalizing a new iMac

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SaltyPeanut
SaltyPeanut Regular Member • Posts: 124
Need some help finalizing a new iMac

My 2010 macbook pro is pretty slow these days with large pic files, but looking at the cost of a new 15" along with a large ext monitor, I'm leaning towards an iMac this time around. Haven't kept up with specs improvements over the years, and could use a little help on a new 27" imac, 3.5Ghz (June 2017 middle model):

1. Can I upgrade the internal drive and RAM at home on the 27", and does this void the warranty?

2. If the 27" comes with a Fusion drive from factory, is it missing anything in order to be upgraded to a SSD?

3. Do I want to use thunderbolt 3 or USB 3 for external drive backups (mainly photos, very little video)? Can't afford external SSDs, so will be looking at 7200 RPM drives.

4. How do I keep my media on an ext drive only - is it just a matter of uploading my pics from camera straight to the ext drive? And can TM still manage the back up of the ext HDD content to a 2nd ext HDD, or will I need to do this manually?

5. Do you recommend using a dedicated ext drive for system backups, and 2 ext drives for media backup, or skip the system ext drive and just use the 2 ext drives for media and system backups?

TIA

SaltyPeanut's gear list:SaltyPeanut's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow