Bad experience on eBay - selling D810

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Antal I Kozma Senior Member • Posts: 2,060
Bad experience on eBay - selling D810

Gentlemen,

I have recently sold my D810 on eBay, or so I thought. So here is my story.

I listed my D810 not because of the D850 craze but since I realized that I hardly used it since I purchased a D500. So I thought that it would not be a wise thing to hang onto it any longer.

The camera was in perfect working condition with slightly above 9000 images taken with it. It was a Canadian model from an authorized dealer. I sold it with a DSTE grip and three EN EL-15 batteries. Two Nikon ones and one DSTE. As a goodwill I reformatted a Transcend 34 GB 400x card and a Sandisk SD 34GB card that I used in the camera and enclosed those too. The package went for $1,800.00 on eBay which I was OK with.

I got a notification from eBay as of last night, Oct. 17th, saying that the buyer wants a refund since, after using the camera for a short while, it displays error messages and does not write to either of the cards. The fellow says that he put an SD card into the camera and it displays the same error as the CF card.

Well-well. I wonder if he reformatted the cards out of camera, maybe in a Windows PC. That might cause some malfunction. Anyhow, I am a seasoned Nikon user and I never would sell anything faulty. Furthermore, the D810 was happily recording images just a few days prior to the sale. Then I formatted the cards in camera, tested that everything worked, charged up the batteries, packaged it up extremely well and sent the box on its way.

I was somewhat happy that although I would not have a FF body any more at least someone else got a good deal and a good workhorse camera. What a disappointment. I sold the equipment with "no returns accepted" note in the auction. I did it because I didn't want someone getting it for testing only. I am not B&H, I am a photographer who took good care of the camera.

Anyway, I answered the fellow asking him to get the battery out of the camera then do a two button reset. Once it is done then format the cards again in the body. That is all I can suggest. However, I am, unsure if the buyer is a novice who screwed up or some other issue might have happened. All I know that I am in the limbo now and eBay may make me to accept a return so that I may end up with damaged goods, shipping fees and other fees lost.

Well, I had 33 positive experiences with eBay during the years, bot as seller and buyer. Now I may get my first lesson and reality check. I just should have given the camera to my grandson, he would not have filed for a return........

Best to all, AIK

P.S.: I know that this is not the "Forum for Crying". However, It is related to a D810 and others might consider selling theirs on eBay too. Just be rather careful with it.......

Antal I Kozma's gear list:Antal I Kozma's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Phase One Capture One Pro Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +20 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D810 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow