The G1X III... (A different way to look at it)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lightgreen Senior Member • Posts: 1,400
The G1X III... (A different way to look at it)

It's got a lens wider than the stock on an SL2, that's a full stop faster on the wide end, has 4-stops of IS, has the FPS and touch and drag, and EVF of an M5, is the size and weight of a G5X...

Canon could've given us a G5X II that is just a G5X with a DIGIC7 like they did the G7X II, but they didn't. Instead they reduced the lens on the long end, and gave us a (much) bigger sensor, that can do DPAF, has much better DR than the G1X or G1X II, more megapixels, and wayyy better ISO handling even though it's a 1/3 stop slower on the long end.

It's weather sealed.

It has the Canon colors, AWB, DPP4 post processing system for RAWs, and ease of use.

It has DPAF and 5-axis IS for video.

Honestly, when I started my journey for "the" camera that wouldn't get left home as my 5DIII and L's were getting left home a few years ago, if this camera had been available, it's the one, despite it's price tag. I should've bought it, taken it everywhere, and still taken the 5DIII for specials... The irony is the RX100 III, and GAS from it, plus the left at home syndrome started my journey that ended at my now M5 and EF-M native only optics, including 1 Rokinon 50mm since Canon hasn't made fast options other than the 22 yet for it.

Canon isn't too nuts not doing 4k, as even I don't own a 4k TV yet, and I don't own a NAS powerful enough to stream it if I did, or a 4k media player for that matter... They still need to do 4k as Canon is making the issue now by justifying it everytime they don't do it, but, they're not completely nuts. They should be doing full readout of 1080, and offering higher bitrate options and GOP options though at 1080P... They're not. That's a much bigger problem as most folks that want 4k, myself included, just want to make better 1080P out of it through downsampling. We wouldn't need to, if the 1080P was REALLY good. *hint Canon, do a high bit option in a firmware update, and GOP options...*

$1299 is a bit steep, that I'll grant you. But, for what it is, yeah, if I had to do it all over again, I would've kept the 5DIII and L's, and bought a G1X III, had Canon had one back then...

When you think of stuffing an SL2 with 24mm width equivalence, faster lens, and M5 options + weather sealing into an G5X, yeah... On second thought, the G1X III, as another thread, deserves some respect. This product isn't so nuts after all, if you have the money for it, and want a single lens compact option with an EVF.

Canon needs to provide better 1080P, though... Oh, and their sample pictures are awful, not the camera's fault IMO...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
YWG
NWT
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow