What lens would you recommend for X-T2?

Started Oct 17, 2017 | Questions thread
lnbolch
lnbolch Senior Member • Posts: 2,318
Re: What lens would you recommend for X-T2?

SWorksRoubaix wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

16-55 is a great lens, especially with the fixed 2.8! But it's massive and would be difficult to carry when I'm cycling. 18-55 seemed like a decent choice for the road.

As for the other scenarios, it appears a fast prime is the recommended option (instead of the 10-24 f/4). Looks like the 16/1.4 might be a good candidate, from one of the reviews .

Re: my current setup. Zilch I got rid of my entire DSLR setup several years ago ever since I started biking (hard to lug all that deadweight around) and have using my iPhone + Canon superzoom.

Figured it was time to get back to the real thing.

Cheers.

You can not go wrong with the 18-55mm to start with. Shoot prolifically, and see what common focal lengths you use. If say, you find yourself shooting mostly a say 35mm, you might consider buying one of the superb 35mm primes. On the other hand, if the bulk of your shots is at 18mm and all of them seem cramped, then consider the 10-24mm. If you are constantly at 55mm, then a longer lens is called for.

The 18-55mm is an excellent affordable lens that will serve you well for much of your general photography. Plan on keeping it, since it offers maximum versatility and top image quality. No need to buy anything else, until you constantly find yourself in a situation where the lens falls short. By that time you will clearly see what you need.

-- hide signature --
 lnbolch's gear list:lnbolch's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow