First Impressions

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
paulaker New Member • Posts: 1
First Impressions

This is my third Sony camera, preceeded by HX5V - swamped by river wash, and RX100 - still owned & highly favoured. The HX80 features which drew me: EVF, tilt up screen, large zoom range of Zeiss lens, compact size - actually fits in RX100 leather case, Sony color accuracy, solid construction, Sony image processing expertise, reasonable price. Initially, I had considered the HX90, but I decided that the additional features and cost were not justified, given my several other full feature cameras.

My expectations from first test batch have been well exceeded. It truly is amazing the image quality that this camera delivers from a 1/2.3" CMOS - almost unbelievable, and the very sharp and smoothly operating Zeiss lens must also take much credit. I also really like the "superior auto" which, in unfavourable conditions, takes multiple images and integrates them to produce a dramatically superior image to that without - better detail, smoother gradations, less noise. I photographed a fashion model in a magazine in low interior light with "intelligent auto" and there was a lot of noise and her eye color was not discernible, and face texture was blotchy, but the "superior auto" showed clear blue eyes, smooth skin, and low noise - difference was dramatic. Obviously in poor light the small CMOS will show more noise than larger chips, but it is mostly well controlled. However, most of my test photos were in a seaside park with lovely fall leaf colors and sunlight filtering through. I also took long zoom photos of a passing ferry.

On a 17" high res screen, even zoomed 3 or 4x, photos look really good. In conclusion, I think the Sony HX80 is an excellent travel or general purpose camera. All photos are directly from camera and unedited. Obviously, photo #2 could have been edited to have improved contrast and brightness.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80
18 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 720 mm (30×)
Announced: Mar 7, 2016
paulaker's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow