A Severe Low Light Test

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SaltLakeGuy
SaltLakeGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 13,583
A Severe Low Light Test

So I was playing around tonight with the new kid, a RX10MkIV. I'm not sure what sauce Sony used on this one, but I had a MkIII which wouldn't do what this just did. So I thought I'd share. First of all the pic I'm showing is of a clock face that quite frankly I was across my house shooting in a nearly completely dark living room. I can't emphasize enough that one could NOT even see the face nor detail or anything as dark as it was.

That said across the living room and down the hallway at the end is my office. That's where I hand held this shot which was 1/40 a second taken in that magical Jpeg only setting provided for Night shooting to allow a shot be taken without a tripod. It shoots a number of high speed frames and no doubt does some extraction of noise and such blending frames together.

I realize you puritans out there will just sneer at this but frankly I certainly can see times when this might well come in handy. I was just playing but if you consider the fact one could NOT even see the face of this clock, it seems virtually illuminated by comparison. The details you can see are actually half way decent along with the fact this was shot at ISO20000. Yeah, imagine that! A "1" in. sensor at ISO20000. I would never have expected this frankly. Just wanted to share as this one of those things to tuck into your memory as a "just in case" you run across the situation that may call for such an application.

-- hide signature --

A member of the "Been There Done That" club. Owned nearly every camera brand and type you can name along the way.

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow