Got the RX10iv today!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Michael Harvey Contributing Member • Posts: 585
Got the RX10iv today!

Had it ordered through Amazon but, as of last night, they still could not confirm a shipping date. So, as I did with both the D810 and D800 previously, I went to the Best Buy website and confirmed that SOME of their stores would have them today...bought one online and picked it up this morning!

I had planned a weekend trip around the EXPECTED delivery date, otherwise I could have waited. But I'm glad I didn't! This camera comes as a pleasant surprise. Having read some of the comments on this forum from folks who had already used the camera, I was set up to be disappointed. I will withhold final judgement, but, at first use, I'M IMPRESSED!

When the "III" came out, it was immediately apparent that I was NOT going to be satisfied with the focusing. AND, I just couldn't get used to an EVF!

I've used NIKON DSLRs for years and the transition from optical viewfinder and to slow/often-inaccurate focusing was a combo I couldn't live with. Yet I STILL want a travel camera that lets me leave that suitcase-sized equipment bag at home.

THIS baby just might, finally, be IT. FOCUS is very much like a DSLR...both in speed and accuracy! I've TRIED to fool it in low light and low contrast situations. It's POSSIBLE...but you have to "play dirty" to miss focus. Otherwise, it just NAILS IT...and there's NO HUNTING. Except for the EVF, I'd think I was using the big NIKON!

I've got a lot to learn with the settings and overall operation but this long weekend should tell me if I can overlook the EVF and finally have the kind of camera I've been waiting for.

It's too soon to offer any other meaningful observations, other than...this is a LOT more camera than its predecessor and I'm surprised that so many others don't seem to think so. Stay tuned!

Mike Harvey

-- hide signature --

Mike Harvey

Michael Harvey's gear list:Michael Harvey's gear list
Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +1 more
Nikon D800 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow