First Time Shooting for a Modelling Portfolio

Started Oct 17, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Devarishi
Devarishi Regular Member • Posts: 126
First Time Shooting for a Modelling Portfolio

Hi,

I recently met a girl wose photos I took and she is very happy with them. Now she wants me to take her shots and make her Modelling Portfolio.

I have not done that thing yet. I have not shared it with her that I am an amateur. I am feeling a bit conscious about it. But I want to do that and take up this opportunity. I don't intend to charge her a single penny but don't want to end up having her feel she wasted her time and energy.

So, how should I go about it? What does a Modelling Portfolio have bundled in it?

Should I take a mixture of full body shots, head shots, and close-up (face only) shots? Or anything else in particular?

Well, I will certainly ask her if she has anything in her mind.

I have not got a home studio though I do have 1 spare room of 8 feet × 8 (or 10) feet size. I have got two new and unused back drops of white and black colors. But they are of fur material and their back sides have rough finish. I bought them for kids.

Being a bit uncomfortable, I told her that shooting outdoors would be a better idea. She is okay with it and sounded happy with in-studio sessions also.

I live in Delhi. There are ruins such as the world famous Qutub Minar where I can shoot but cannot take a Tripod or a Reflector or anything of professional or commercial nature. They prolly  won't allow an external flash unit too. There are some great gardens that have tomb and ruins too and I can take all my stuffs there without any restrictions.

Or should I go out close to the nature: river and mountains? I can use all my gadgets there and return the same day. Though, this option will cost me around 100 USD.

Moreover, what should be my composition? What angels should I shoot from? How about the makeup in her every shot- should it be same or different? How many shots (at least) I must get right to make her Modelling Portfolio?  How can I make it an effective and good experience overall for my model?

Should I shoot in RAW or JPEG would be sufficient? When confused about choosing one of them, I go for RAW+JPEG and later delete the RAW files if I don't need them.

I am sorry for this post full of questions and doubts.

My gears are:

DSLR: Nikon D5300 DX

Lenses: Nikkor AF-P 18-55mm and 70-300mm and Nikon AF-S 50mm 1.8G

External Flash / Speed light: Godox V860 II-N for Nikon

Reflector: A 5-in-1 Collapsible Reflector (42 Inches)

Nikon D5 Nikon D5300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow