Can Smartphones be the leaders in photography ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
semi pro photographer Junior Member • Posts: 45
Can Smartphones be the leaders in photography ?

A week ago , I had some free time so I took some photos from my new smartphone ( iPhone 8 plus ) and compared them with my brother's old camera ( Canon rebel t3 ) for fun But I saw that iPhone photos were a bit better , in dynamic range and shadow details , and lower noise in lowlight . But canon had better colors and details

So, I was very surprised and decided to compare the phone with my rebel t6i and saw that they are not very different but again the phone had better dynamic range and the canon looked to have more contrast but noise performance was as good as the phone and colors and white balance was better and more fine details in canon .

This is a massive upgrade in the smartphone industry for camera quality and speed and this made me think about using smartphones as they give me excellent results ( still not as DSLRs but not far ) and in smaller body . I think the Google pixel 2 has better camera as in the reviews but how will be the future with smartphones , can the tiny sensors beat the large sensors in the cameras ?

The modern smartphones as iPhone 8 , pixel 2 and note 8 have excellent image quality and 4k video at 900$ that is not found ( 4k ) in the 1,100$ d7200 or even in the 1,200$ 80d.

I know that smartphones use HDR and multi frame shots with new image processing modes so, why don't cameras use these features as phones?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow