Nikon Repair Problems

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
WHN78731 New Member • Posts: 1
Nikon Repair Problems

I purchased a new 16-35 f4 VR zoom lens in June of this year. Unfortunately, a few weeks ago it rolled out of my camera bag and fell 18 inches to a carpeted floor. The zoom function was rough afterward, but the lens worked otherwise.

I sent the lens to the Los Angeles Nikon Repair facility and they informed me that it would cost $423 to repair the lens, which I accepted. The lens arrived back here yesterday via UPS in pristine condition in a box with no evidence of damage.

On inspecting the lens, I noticed that neither auto nor manual focus worked. The focus ring turned, but nothing happened. I called Nikon support and they agreed that I needed to send the lens in again for a “re-repair”. They promised a UPS shipping label within 24 to 48 hours which I will use to send the lens back. I’m still waiting on this shipping label.

Obviously, I’m very disappointed with Nikon service for a number of reasons. The Repair Invoice noted that the lens was checked for both autofocus and focusing in general before shipping it back to me. It’s clear to me that the service technician made some mistake in reassembling the lens and falsely claimed to have checked for proper focus operation given there is no evidence of shipping damage.

Is my story unique, or does the Los Angeles Repair facility have some quality control issues?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow