Need a good lens for taking adorable cat pictures at the shelter. Advice?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kgor93 New Member • Posts: 9
Need a good lens for taking adorable cat pictures at the shelter. Advice?

Hey guys, I'm a relative newbie when it comes to pro photography. I have an A6300 with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.5 lens as my general use lens and the 70-200mm as my sports photography one. I'm looking for a lens to replace my 18-55mm lens as my general use lens.

A bit of background, my main use for the camera is to take pictures and video of shelter cats in lowish light conditions. I post the pictures on social media to try and get these guys adopted. Fluorescent lights are used, but there are dark spots in the room because they don't adequately cover the room.

Here are some pictures of a cat I took in below-average light at the shelter.

https://imgur.com/gallery/feOqe

So without further adu, this is what I'm looking for:

-A wider picture. When the cat is in my lap, it's very hard to get good pictures or video, yet this is when the cutest things happen.

-Close minimum focusing distance. Doesn't need to be too close, but within 10 inches or so

-Much more light coming into the frame, so a lower? aperture.

-Considering that I spent 95% of the time zoomed all the way out and am trying to get a wider lens, zoom doesn't matter.

Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
kli
kli
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow