Dear Canon, The G1X III...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nick Photog
Nick Photog Regular Member • Posts: 336
Dear Canon, The G1X III...

Dear Canon,

The G1X III is so close to a dream camera for me.  A high quality compact zoom with a big sensor.  Nice one!

I owned a G5X and I enjoyed it.  It's a good design and I think it's great that you put an APS-C sensor in that good body.

I won't be buying one.  It's not the price.  It's because the lens is so slow.  If you had put a fast lens in the G1X III, I'd be buying one for sure.  I'd even spend more than what you're asking now for it.

This is a big step in the right direction for a camera that I want to buy, but it's a half step.  The camera has to have a fast lens.  It can be a bigger, I'm not looking for pocketable, just compact.

I wonder because, the G5X has a fast lens, the Panasonic LX100 has a fast lens.  I know the sensors in those cameras are smaller, but does moving up to an APS-C size sensor make a fast, compact lens impossible?  I'm not a camera engineer, so I don't know.  But I would think there would be a way to get a fast lens on a APS-C compact zoom.  If there is a way, I hope you commit to making that camera in the future, a serious, no compromise compact zoom.  One that can stand toe-to-toe with the best APS-C ILC's in the market.

By the way, making the G1X III weather sealed?  Nice move.

But I think you miss read the market.  This is not the camera that the people who would buy it are looking for.  I think you're really close to making a compact zoom that could be a DSLR replacement, one that even professionals could use.  And one that hobbyists would love.

But who wants a kit lens fixed permanently on their camera, which is what this is like.  Not the enthusiasts who this is aimed at, and not professionals.

It's a great half step in a great direction though, in my opinion.

Thanks,

A camera fan who will put his money where his mouth is

Canon PowerShot G5 X Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
0lf
Jim
0lf
Jim
Jim
Jim
G-D
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow