True Lightroom replacement

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MallardDuck Forum Member • Posts: 53
True Lightroom replacement

For a few reasons I'm starting the hunt for a Lightroom alternative. The immediate issue is the lack of support for the d850.  I refuse to convert to dng and lose information into an adobe-focused format - if it's not reversible, information is lost, and I don't want to waste storage by embedding the nef...plus the dng converter is dog slow.  And not just the dng converter, but the whole app has ongoing performance issues. Plus, from the leaked project nimbus, I expect the next iteration of Lightroom to be cloud only, which is a complete non starter.  My library is multiple terabytes, and I regularly import and catalogue 50-100gb of files nightly while on a shoot.  News flash to adobe and Apple and company: In the real world capped <10mbps network connections (at best) are common, and traveling is often worse.

I rely heavily on the library, develop, and printing modules.  Maps are nice, slideshows are once in a blue moon.  Already have autopanogiga, photo matix, and helicon for pano, hdr and focus work.  Would prefer fewer tools to integrations, but willing to consider well integrated combinations.  Want to completely avoid the Nikon native tools.  Need pro-level tools that are regularly updated, not apple photos level ones.  Huge bonus if it can read he Lightroom sidecar files and duplicate the edits to allow complete Lightroom retirement.  Must handle very large tiff panos (multi-gigabyte). Must run on a Mac.

I'm more than willing to pay, and I don't care about one time or subscription. For me it's functionality, performance, and having a pure local solution.

So, any thoughts or suggestions?

Aside: my goal here is to completely retire the cc suite and it's $600 annual cost, so I have some budget available.  To do that suggestions on Illustrator and Indesign alternatives are welcome too.  Already have pixelmator identified as my photoshop replacement.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfk
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow