Macro question: lens or lens combos?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Contributing Member • Posts: 882
Macro question: lens or lens combos?

I am contemplating a better macro setup for my style of shooting. I rarely get to go out on my own as most of my photo excursions happen on a walk/hike with my kids. Bringing a tripod and setting up a proper macro shot does not really happen.

I currently use my 50-230mm with a Raynox DCR-150, which gives great results, but the working distance and extremely shallow DOF is sometimes a hindrance. I'd appreciate any opinions on the following scenarios:

1. Get the 60mm macro. I've read the AF is a bit slow; I have an X-T1 but am thinking of getting an X-T20 as a second body. Is there any AF performance difference on the X-T20, especially if any of the special AF settings are utilized with this lens?

2. Keep the Raynox but get the XF 55-200 for faster aperture control, extra stop of light and better (?) OIS than the 50-230mm. Any advantage with this lens vs the 50-230?

3. Same scenario as #2 but use the MCEX extension tubes on either the 50-230 or 55-200 instead of the Raynox. Is there any advantage to the ext tubes over the Raynox?

I should mention that I want to stay with AF lenses, and also I would love the 80mm but it's way out of my budget right now.

Thanks for any suggestions

-- hide signature --

"Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways." - Psalm 119:37

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Panasonic G85 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm II Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow