Thinking of switching from Sony to Panasonic- is this crazy?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BootySweat New Member • Posts: 7
Thinking of switching from Sony to Panasonic- is this crazy?

I use Sony gear. FS5 + a6500. But my experience with the Sony line + the recent release of the GH5 have got my exploring other options.

So, let's cut through the BS and talk gear.

FS5:

• Likes: Beautiful form factor. Buttons are in the right place. 4K has zero rolling shutter. No overheating issues. Amazing battery life. Beautiful slow motion. The FS5 looks "serious" to onlookers. XLR inputs are nice.
  • Dislikes: Autofocus is terrible. Low light performance is also terrible (gets grainy at 3200 ISO). Expensive lens lineup. Colours that come out of it aren't so great, but that of course is fixable in post.

a6500:

• Likes: Small form factor. Nice, sharp images. Super fast autofocus. IBIS.
  • Dislikes: Menu hell, which makes it a pain for my wife to use for her photography (I use it a lot more than she does, so I always have to remind her where important functions are in the menu. 120fps slow motion isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be. Crap battery life. 4K rolling shutter is horrendous. Lenses are expensive. IBIS is... meh.

Enter... the GH5. Now, I know that this camera isn't without its negatives. But here are a few things that are really attracting me to it based on what I've researched online: Dual SD cards. Flip screen. Smooth slow motion (I rarely go above 120FPS, even though my FS5 can do 240fps). Nice colours come out of it. Good IBIS.

But on the other hand, I've also heard that the GH5 has pretty crap stills quality.

So, is there anyone out there who switched from Sony to Panasonic? Now, before I start a Sony vs Panasonic war, I am NOT saying that Sony is crap. Heck, I've never even used a Panasonic camera. But I'm just feeling like GH5 is hitting the sweet spot with features and value for my needs, but really want to know how you all f

Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS5 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow