Definition of gamut

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 19,637
Definition of gamut

In the now-closed QE thread, there was a discussion of the definition of the word "gamut" in the context of color.

Andrew said that

Only devices, or systems, that render color have a color gamut. To quote Dr. Roy S. Berns from RIT in the book Billmeyer and Saltzman’s Principles of Color Technology, "Color gamut: Range of colors produced by a coloration system." To be a little clearer about this, the concept of a color gamut applies to systems that produce color (e.g., color printer, color television, color monitor, or color projector).

and cited Mark Fairchild, who said:

A color gamut is the range of colors produced by a device or system.

I thought that the concept of gamut is broader than that, and cited Pointer's use of the term in his 1980 paper "The Gamut of Real Surface Colors".

I would define gamut as "A color gamut is a range of colors". I don't think any device or system is necessary. I cited a Fairchild paper where he used the term gamut without tieing it to an output device or system, but for a range of real-world (and with different usage a range of possible real-word) colors:

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.298.9084&rep=rep1&type=pdf

In the above paper, Mark and Heckaman show CIELab (D50, 1937 2 degree CMFs) representations of both Pointer's gamut and the gamut implied by the MacAdam surface color limits.

The question before the PS&T house: should my broader definition of gamut be used, or shunned?

Note that this question is completely independent of this one: "Do input devices have gamuts".

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Nikon D850 Sony Alpha a7R III +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow