OP primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,318
Re: Monitor Calibration Issues Spyder 5

Ellis Vener wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Ellis Vener wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Sagittarius wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

So I have a Dell ultrasharp monitor - a pretty decent one which is under a year old which I am trying to calibrate. As it appears after calibration is finished all with recommended settings - 5000K, gamma recommended etc etc and about 90-120 cdm2 depending on light level all looks okay. That is until I look at photos that looked fine before in the black areas. I like to edit quite contrasty black and whites and sometimes similar edits in colours. Looking at these files after calibration at first glance they appear ok - however in the black areas they have horrible artefacts in the areas and poor gradients honestly I am close to punching the damn screen I've tried it countless times with different settings? It looks a thousand times worse than before calibration in this regard, like it's a 50 quid screen!

So, considering I don't have an entry level monitor and the calibration and non calibration screen on spyder (flicking between) only warms it slightly - colours seem pretty unchanging, then why is it doing this stuff to my black areas - it looks truly horrendous. What is more concerning is I am using the ELITE version (most expensive and meant to be their top end calibrator!)

Any help is very appreciated.

I read that DELL monitors require XRite for calibration. You might ask this question in PC Talk forum. I use Spyder5 Elite to calibrate my two monitors, one of which is wide gamut and have no problems. Also it might help if you describe exactly what you are doing. Curious where 5000 recommendation come from?

-- hide signature --

Best regards

I've tried 5000K, 5500K and 6500K all have this issue. 5000-5500 is nearer to paper in the light I view it. I also heard from someone else that spyder and dell ultrasharp can cause issues, recommending x rite...thanks!

individual SDatacolor Colorimeters i nthe past have been known to be, well, whacked. I do suggest you try an i1 Display Pro.
Unless you are printing on Newsprint, I think you won't be happy with D5000.
Also which version of the CIE standard are you using CIE 1976 or CIE 2000 when setting up your calibration standards? If the former, try the latter.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
And follow me on instagram at therealellisv

Thanks I've heard this too. How do I find out which standard it's using. There's no option to go between these as far as I see?

I haven’t used a Datacolor Spyder product in years but it might be in Preferences.

In i1 Profiler choice of CIE standard is one of the options when choosing a calibration standard.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
To see my work please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
And follow me on instagram at therealellisv

Definately not in preferences, no option for this anywhere that I can see. Going to return it and go with x-rite.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow