G1X III - Sample images seem flawed (PICS)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 4,923
G1X III - Sample images seem flawed (PICS)

I was hoping for something amazing with the new G1X III.  My best guess was that Canon wouldn't miss their chance to throw a wide, fast aperture into this model to take advantage of it's main feature: The large APS-C sensor. I was absolutely certain that it would be f/1.8 or possibly f/2.2 at the slowest.  Boy was I mistaken.
I was happy to see the G1X III announced (!!!!!) because I like an all-in-one compact camera - and the image quality of the G-series has always been of paramount importance to both Canon and their customers. I was waiting to see what Canon's samples might look like before throwing down money on yet another camera and someone here was kind enough to post the official link ( https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot/advanced-cameras/powershot-g1-x-mark-iii )

G1X III - sample picture from Canon - f/11 at ISO 100 (CROP) on a tripod.  Smeary and messy detail - presumably from noise reduction.  But some of this appears to be an optical aberration.

I'm more than disappointed with the results here.  Any desire I had to purchase this camera is rapidly losing traction after viewing the samples.  Is anyone else unhappy with what is presently on offer?  What did you think of the samples (see link above) when you saw them?  Minimum focus distance is the same for both normal and "macro" use with this camera (10cm)... but that seems to be somewhat limited.  And no included Lens Hood?  Wow.  Especially at US $1300.
I wanted to update my S95 with the S120 but the S120 had IQ problems and so I returned it.  I wanted to update my 6D but the recently released 6D II was no major improvement at all.  The internet is afire with despite for the new model and I agree that it's not worth the price.  And now, at last, I wanted to update my G1X but this new G1X III isn't impressing me with image quality, let alone the new price bracket.  If the image quality was stunning, then perhaps I could be convinced to reconsider.  But looking closer at the sample - which I'm sure Canon carefully selected as the best they could muster - I'm concerned with the smearing of certain details (see images below from the Canon Samples)....

G1X III - Sample Picture - Wide (reduced) image showing aggressive Noise Reduction.

G1X III - Sample Picture - (CROP) showing lack of skin detail due to noise reduction. DOF should be somewhat deeper at f/2.8 and noise should be low at ISO 125. What happened here? This isn't the result of excessive makeup on the model. IS was turned OFF so I presume a tripod was used... and why is only one eye in focus at f/2.8?

I was just noting in another forum that the original EOS-M (which sold for a measly $299 at one point) with the 22mm f/2 STM lens ($99) produces a better image (less smear and noise) in lower light with the same APS-C type sensor size at a fraction of the cost.  But Canon have steadily raised the prices of their mirrorless cameras and this kind of pricing isn't available in newer models like the M5 or M6.  I note though that anyone thinking of buying a G1X III at US $1300 would probably do better to take a longer holiday or go someplace nicer and save money by buying a different camera altogether.  On the other hand, the most recent Mobile Cell Phones (iPhones etc) produce incredible images these day.  People are used to using them and they don't like wasting money.  Samples from the Google PIXEL in lowlight are breathtaking.  I can't imagine why Canon keep raising their prices when they know that this alone is killing sales for them in the compact camera sales department.
I hope that the new G1X III ends up impressing people.  Perhaps these samples aren't as bad as I imagine they are.  I can't see Canon releasing this model it unless it was a very capable camera - worthy of the serious enthusiasts and professionals alike. And yet... these samples worry me.  I've only seen three samples from the G1X III so far (the three samples on the Canon link). The specs suggest it's not going to be particularly useful with astro-photography shots either (@ f/2.8). For those of you who feel a little let down, I feel your pain.  I was always an enormous fan of the original G1X.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +13 more
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M6 Canon PowerShot S120
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow