The D850 already outresolves lenses

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 13,441
The D850 already outresolves lenses

I was quite surprised to hear this. I thought I'd read from Thom Hogan than lenses still out-resolve the current sensors, but in an email exchange with Roger Cicala of Lensrentals, I got this:

"On a 12 or 16 Mpix camera sensor is the nearly entire limiting factor with a great lens. By 32 mpix, the contribution is more equal. At this resolution its very much a two-part contribution. There is no lens made that is so good it 'outresolves' this sensor.

Put another way, the 42 Mpix sensor can theoretically resolve 100 lp/mm. The best lens we have, that Otus at f/4, can resolve 100 lp/mm in the middle half or the frame, but not outside that."

I had asked about that because of comments made in the Lensrentals advertisement for a D850 rental:

"I think maybe we’re done now. The D850 bumps resolution up to 46 megapixels. That’s 46 backside-illuminated, low-pass filter free goodness. Let’s just summarize that with you don’t have to worry if your lenses out-resolve this camera; they don’t."

I'm just surprised, mostly.  Not arguing with the message as Roger certainly has the data to back up his conclusions.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +35 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow