Is my PZ 16-50 broken?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Anders_Nilsson Regular Member • Posts: 185
Is my PZ 16-50 broken?

Ok, dont't laugh!

Two years ago I bought a used NEX-6 with the PZ 16-50. Last year I also bought the SEL55210. Every time I take something with the SEL55210 I'm astounded how good the NEX is.

The 16-50 is a different story. Now, I should mention that shortly after buying the lens, the camera slipped out of my pocket and landed on the zoom ring. One week later, the lens stopped working. I had it repaired at a local shop for $20, it was a pin that had broken off a plastic ring of some sort inside the lens. The repair shop said this was a common fault on the 16-50.

Since then the lens has worked. Worked as in taking pictures. I have not been satisfied very much but I have been unable to point out exactly what the problem is. The pictures just feel off. Like I said, the SEL55210 never fails to amaze me, so You have a comparison. I have taken parallel shots with the 16-50 at 50mm and the SEL55210 at 55mm and it is no contest. And then people say the SEL55210 is no good...

Lately however, the lens has developed retraction problems. When switching on the camera it usually extends after a couple of seconds. When switching off the camera, it often takes 5 seconds or so for the lens to collapse, accompanied by rather asthmatic sounds and jerky movement.

Also, I have noticed that the lens does not track AF well, my toddler in a swing is almost impossible to capture in I+ Gold mode in daylight and AF-C. Also, the lens sometimes has an off focus, some pics sharp some others not.

Yes, I have abused the lens but is the above behaviour indicative of a lens beyond rescue? Or is this what I can expect from the SEL1650? There is never any fault indication or other in the finder.

Anders_Nilsson's gear list:Anders_Nilsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Casio Exilim EX-10 Casio Exilim EX-100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow