Gear choice for shallow depth of field photography

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GrzegorzC Regular Member • Posts: 100
Gear choice for shallow depth of field photography

I want to play around with shallow depth of field photography. My current gear doesn't allow it so I'd need to buy new stuff. I've come up with a couple of options.

I currently have the Olympus EM1 II: I could get the Canon-to-M43 speedbooster 0.71 plus Sigma 35mm f/1.4, which gives around 50mm f/1.8 full-frame equivalent. The price would be around €1600. The pro is I can keep using my current camera/system.

Alternatively I could get the Sony A7 plus the Zeiss 55mm f/1.8. This combination would cost around €1800. The con is the hassle of having two systems.

How would the image quality between these two set ups compare? I suppose the Sony+Zeiss combination would be sharper, but would the difference be substantial? How about autofocus?

GrzegorzC's gear list:GrzegorzC's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +6 more
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow