An 85mm: Sony fe 85mm f/1.8 or Sony SAL85F28

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Htbaa Contributing Member • Posts: 568
An 85mm: Sony fe 85mm f/1.8 or Sony SAL85F28

I'm interested in getting an 85mm prime. Preferably I would get native E-Mount, but the cost difference between the FE 85mm and SAL85 is quite big. And getting the SAL85 second hand should lower the price even more.

I do have an LA-EA4 adapter so mounting A-Mount lenses to my A6000 or A3000 is no problem.

How well would the SAL85 perform? IQ wise, but also AF speed with the adapter. The FE lens is probably faster and sharper. But if I compare the FE 85 mounted on an A6000 to say an A77-II with the SAL85 on DXOMark the sharpness is the same and the score doesn't differ too much either. When compared to full frame camera alternatives the score of the FE almost doubles whilst the SAL85 remains the same. I understand both are different sensors and camera's so it's probably not an extremely useful comparison. But it does seem that when mounted on a full frame camera the FE lens performs better than when the SAL85 would be used.

Of course, there's a pretty big price difference so I would expect the FE to be much better.

But, I won't be upgrading to full frame anytime soon so to my limited understanding of the subject the SAL85 would perform, image quality wise, almost as well. Right? Although, if I look at the sharpness field map the FE is a lot sharper on f/2.8 than the SAL85 is. Even wide open the FE is better. But then again, the FE costs about 3 times more.

Another option would be the Sigma 85mm F1.4 (with my MC-11), but that's twice as much as the FE. So, not an option.

Typing this post I think my only real option would be the SAL85 as I don't want to spend too much money (any more, have bought enough expensive lenses). So it then boils down to how fast can it AF? Say compared to my Minolta 70-210 f/4, which is OK for a screw drive system. I assume the SAM drive in the SAL85 would AF a lot more faster than a screw drive lens right?

Htbaa's gear list:Htbaa's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Sigma 30mm F1.4 for Sony E +16 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow