Tamron 85mm 1.8 or Nikon 85mm 1.8G on Crop Body?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MrKhanh New Member • Posts: 7
Tamron 85mm 1.8 or Nikon 85mm 1.8G on Crop Body?

Hi all,

I have been doing some research on prime lenses for portrait works and found that people have said that 85mm is too tight for APS-C and as I am aware of that but that is not my concern because will be mainly taking portrait outdoor which there will be alot of room.

I currently have a Nikon D5500 and Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 and the lens did a good job in taking portrait but I still feel it lacks of sharpness and the bokeh not very smooth but I will be using it for event and group shots.

So the next lens I want to look at was the 85mm prime lens for portraiture and i am unsure which one will works best for the Nikon D5500 as there was very little lens comparison on this body. All I know is that the 85mm definitely take sharper picture than the Sigma 17-50 2.8 and produce nicer Bokeh. I found these 2 prime lens but not sure which lens work best on the Nikon D5500.

1. Tamron SP 85mm f/1.8 Di VC USD

2. Nikon AFS Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G

The Nikon 85mm 1.8G, I heard alot of people are recommending this lens because it does an excellent job in sharpness and bokeh despite that it has a cheaper built quality. But here the Tamron 85mm is another option and more expensive because of the built and VC ?.

My question here would be: Will the Tamron 85mm 1.8 produce a better result (sharpness + bokeh) than the Nikon 85mm 1.8G on APSC Body (D5500) because if they do make great difference than I will definitely go for the Tamron but if it only a tad difference then i will stick with the Nikon and save my money.

Also I had a look at Sigma Art Lens but by hearing alot of people reporting it has lots of Focusing Issue so I decided not to look into those.

Note: I am an enthusiast photographer so I am no pro at these stuff, please help me with your suggestions. Thanks

MrKhanh's gear list:MrKhanh's gear list
Nikon D5500 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon D5500 Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow